July 11-15, 2007 Suva recap
So I should really name this “The Misadventures of Tanya”. I think it was the 12th, but the west wind picked up and the shit hit the fan. Boats were swinging all over the place, the waves were getting big, people were breaking down in their dinghies, and 3 sailboats that just arrived, squeezed us into a rather tight anchorage. Our chief engineer/ 1st mate and captain were in town doing their things for the boat, so there was about 8 of us on board. Well one of the boats was right off the stern all day, and we were all checking to see if it was getting closer…and it wasn’t. Well, mid-day, it got really close all of a sudden and soon their anchor chain was like right under us, prob near the prop. I think we just starting dragging really quickly. I helped push their bow pulpit around our stern, while others grabbed buoys. It was crazy. Our engine wouldn’t start, and the people on the other boat were pretty much oblivious to how serious the situation was. They start to push button their anchor in from some handheld thing, while we all struggle to push their boat off of ours. We’re walking up the 120’ of Infinity with buoys while they bring their anchor in. Meanwhile, they have immigration guys on board and the pilot boat comes in to help, and they try to push our stern out, but that really doesn’t help any. Our dinghy is now in between the boats, since we keep it on the side of the boat. Fred didn’t tie the bow line of the dinghy on good, and the dinghy is now free. Fred jumps over board for it, and can’t start it. Ahhh! He finally gets it started for a bit, and gets out of the way. Our bows reach each other and their anchor pin is out, just ready to put a nice hole in our bow. Gaie jumps on their bow and pushes off from their side, and they finally manage to get free from us. We get the engine started and start to get ready to raise the anchor, and the other boat is now zooming back at us (and we thought we got rid of them!). Now we are running with fenders as they are coming really fast for our stern. Everyone is freakin out, especially this guy Laser (reminds me of Dad when he is mad…), yelling and cursing at everyone. As they get closer, we see that Gaie is still on the bow and the immigration officer is now at the helm (he has no idea what he’s doing)! Gaie finally gets the stupid guy to really crank the wheel over and they miss hitting us. Thank God! It was too close for comfort. We raise anchor and reanchor in a spot away from everyone, meanwhile Zac has taken the second dinghy out as Fred can’t start the engine on the other dinghy. We hear later from them about all their troubles, with a line around the prop and then a sea snake on the engine raise lever. Craziness! Oh there have been quite a few sea snakes on the sugar scoop (in the stern), they are pretty scary as their bite is deadly and there is no antivenom (Their mouths are so small, can’t really bite us). Anyways, we reanchored and didn’t drag from that spot, but it was quite a crazy day.
The next two days in Suva I was stuck doing boat work on little projects, helping everyone out. Friday night we had 21 people on board with James and his parents, and a group from the University of the South Pacific (USP, based in Suva) that we are working with to set up a land base in Fiji and collaborate some data with them. James brought wahoo back from a fishing trip with his parents, so we all had fresh wahoo and listened to a lecture from one of the USP guys all about how butterfly fish can tell you the health and structure of coral reefs. Rachel, a student from the university also came for dinner. She is 20, Fijian, really nice girl, and she will be meeting up with us in Ovaltau to spend 2 wks on board. Dinner was delicious (Michel’s cooking again), I was so exhausted after dinner, I just crashed out. I did finally get to Skype my parents online, it was good to get caught up with them. I’m really getting sucked into the TV show “Lost.” It’s so addicting, but so good.
We are now underway to Savusavu to meet Kitty (another crew member) and do some more maintenance and stocking up. It should be a 2 day sail, but it’s looking like a 3 day sail. The wind hasn’t been really strong and steady all the time. I’m on the 12-4 watch again, which isn’t the greatest, but its ok. I’m looking forward to exploring and emailing in Savusavu. Their marina and town sounds pretty nice and quaint from the guide book. Sunday night speech tonight (grrrr!), I think I’m going to talk about “the cove” at home. Oh and I’ve been on board for a month now, eight more to go.
July 16, 2007 Savusavu
The wind really picked up last night, I was at the helm going 7 knots at 4 in the morning, pretty exciting. After two days, we made it to Savusavu this morning around noon. It’s a really nice anchorage. Protected in a harbor by the mainland and a small island. There is civilization here (which is sweet) and there are palm trees and houses speckling the hills. Being at this anchorage kind of reminds me of Shirley Heights a bit, but just a bit. Here I am again, on the bow, typing this drinking a Fiji Gold in the breeze as the sun sets. Pretty nice spot, think I should make this a tradition at every new anchorage. Spent the afternoon setting up everything after sailing, and getting all the dive stuff out. Looks like we’re going to be doing some diving here. The bunks got rearranged in Paradise today too. Agate and Matt (lovers! Ha!) are now bunking in the Foxhole, and Zac moved over to the other side. So less snoring! Pretty stoked for that little rearrangement. We’re also picking up McKenzie, Cynthia, and Kitty here. Going into town tonight to see what the town is like, and to have some pizza at this really good place. I’ll try to get online either tonight or tomorrow, if I can get into town. It’s nice just to relax for a while, after being on watches for 2 days getting over here. Watches are like living a different life for a while. Sleep is precious. If I’m not on watch, and being alert of the boat, I really try to get as much sleep as I can (oh and watch “Lost” a bit too). For now in this harbor, I’d like to propose a bottoms up toast to “New places, new people, and new things!” (From Sunday night dinners!)
July 17, 2007 Savusavu
Sorry I'm kind of getting sloppy with these entries. MacKenzie and her mom got here today, she is cute, 10. Been busy doing ship work on the boat. I was making this stupid! battery holder, cutting all these small pieces of wood out, real pain. I'm almost done, and it turns out we might not even use it (bad design!). Grrr! Anyways this anchorage is really pretty and the town is small and quaint. Not internet in Namena, so will update again in Ovalotu!
Tuesday, July 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment